These Air Fryer Lamb chops are the easiest and fastest way to juicy, tender and the best tasting lamb chop! Brushed with a mustard lemon and herb sauce that makes this one of the best air fryer recipes yet (skillet option too!)
Air Fryer meals are on my mind lately. Everyone has enjoyed the recipes that I’ve been making in the air fryer from crispy air fryer chicken wings to the air fryer donuts in special shapes. This week I’m stepping away from the more basic things you think of when thinking of air fryer recipes and making Air Fryer Lamb Chops.
Lamb chops are an easy weeknight dinner you can have on the table in less than 30 minutes. I’m sharing a simple sauce made of just 4 ingredients you can make on the spot and not have to let it sit in the marinade to get the delicious flavor.
The sauce to brush over the lamb chop is made with mustard, a smidge of oil (for browning) lemon juice and tarragon for a simple, but elegant compliment to the lamb but can also be used on chicken or steak.
What can you make in an Air Fryer?
You can make the obvious from chicken wings, frozen and fresh French fries or anything you think of frying. But you can also air fry chicken parmesan, pork chops and today’s recipe for Air fryer lamb chops.
I can see everyone thinking wait, what? I don’t deep fry lamb chops or chicken parmesan but you want me to use the air fryer for these?
Yes! The air fryer is an excellent choice for cooking foods a little bit healthier and has an added bonus of quick-cooking and easy clean-up.
Once you’ve started cooking in your air fryer you will be amazed at all the air fryer recipes you can make. I’ll be sharing one recipe a week over the next few months for you.
What is an Air Fryer?
To understand why your air fryer is such a valuable kitchen tool you have to understand what exactly an air fryer is. It’s kind of deceptive.
I knew you could make things in an air fryer without all the oil but until I got mine I had no idea what an air fryer really was.
The big secret about an air fryer?
It’s not a fryer at all!!
It’s basically a countertop convection oven that cooks using really hot air swirling around. It can cook basically anything you can fry or bake in an oven although some things work much better than others.
Benefits of Air Fryer Recipes:
- Air Frying is a healthier way to cook because you hardly use any oil.
- An added bonus not using oil is the lack of lingering grease smell after you’re done cooking.
- Air Fryers are super easy clean-up, the pieces easily fit in the dishwasher.
- Your kitchen and house don’t heat up using an air fryer.
- Using an air fryer to cook foods almost always saves time. (both the cooking of the food and the cleanup!)
I use a Phillips Air Fryer but all air fryers work pretty much the same. Costco has them and they are reasonably priced. I like the Phillips air fryer because it’s got a little larger basket to cook in than some of the others.
How to make lamb chops in the air fryer?
Selecting the lamb chop
I prefer the loin lamb chops because of their thickness. The ones that look like a mini T-bone steak. They are just thick enough they stay super juicy and tender when cooking them. (Check out the photo below just how juicy and succulent the loin lamb chops are after air frying.)
You can also use a rib chop easily but the cooking time will be much less since they are much thinner and they are not as forgiving if you cook them too long.
Make a simple sauce/marinade to brush on.
It can’t be any simpler. In a small bowl mix mustard, olive oil, tarragon and lemon juice to lightly brush on the chop before placing the meat into the air fryer.
Why I use oil in an Air Fryer.
Wait? I know you are wondering why I am using oil in the air fryer. With a piece of protein, I like it to brown a little bit more than it does if you don’t use olive oil in the air fryer. The meat cooks so quickly that it doesn’t really have a chance to get golden brown without a little olive oil to help it along.
More Tips for air fryer recipes:
Preheat the air fryer.
Preheat the air fryer while you are making the marinade and brushing it on. It only takes three minutes to preheat but by preheating the air fryer the lamb chops will start cooking immediately.
Leave space between the foods.
Leave a little space in between the lamb chops when you place them in the basket so the air can reach all of the sides of the lamb. I have two lamb chops pictured, but I could easily fit up to 5 in my air fryer basket.
If you are cooking for more people, cook in batches and place the cooked lamb chops on a side plate and cover with plastic wrap or turn your oven onto 250° to keep them warm.
Additional questions about cooking lamb in the air fryer
Is lamb a healthy protein? Lamb fits the requirements of what the FDA classifies as lean meat so yes it’s a healthy meal choice. American Lamb has lots of nutritional information if you want more specifics but a 3 ounce cooked portion of lamb is less than 8 grams of total fat with 3 grams being saturated fat. Lamb also has less than 80 mg of cholesterol.
What temp should lamb be cooked to? If your chops are a different thickness the cooking times may be slightly different. You can use a thermometer to test for doneness if you would rather not just cut into it to check it. Here is a handy doneness guide to test the lamb.
Lamb Doneness temperatures:
- 125° Rare
- 145° Medium Rare
- 155° Medium
I don’t have an air fryer, how do I make these lamb chops on the stovetop? Here is a simple way to cook the lamb chops on the stovetop. After brushing on the sauce do the following
Heat a grill pan or a skillet to high. Add one tablespoon olive oil to pan and swirl to coat all sides
- Place chops in on ends and cook for 2 mins. Then turn and place on narrow side (the chop side, not the top and bottom) and cook for 2 more minutes. Repeat with other narrow side for 2 mins. Then cook about 4 mins per side until lamb reaches medium-rare (130°). (I cut into one chop to make sure its a doneness I’m happy with if I don’t have a thermometer handy.).
- Remove from skillet and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Then serve immediately.
More Healthy Air Fryer Recipes for a Delicious Dinner
- Pork Schnitzel
- Pork Chops
- Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki
- Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Garlic Parmesan Wings
- Korean Chicken Wings
- Extra Crispy Chicken Wings
Love Lamb? You can find ALL the delicious lamb recipes right here!
More Lamb Recipes you might enjoy!
- No-Fail Grilled Lamb Chops Perfect for entertaining!
- Pan-Fried Greek Lamb Chops
- Pan-Seared Lamb Chops with Balsamic Glaze
- No-Fail Leg of Lamb Make this for Easter and you won’t be disappointed!
- Rack of Lamb Special Occasion meal without stress!
- Baked Greek Lamb Meatballs
- Irish Lamb Stew ~ Perfect for St Paddy’s Day
- Mediterranean Lamb Meatballs
- Easy Roast Lamb
I’d love it if you made this recipe and enjoy it if you’d let me know by coming back and commenting! ❤️❤️❤️❤️
If you tag your photos with the hashtag #westviamidest or tag me @michele_westviamidwest and I’ll showcase your photo on our IG Stories!
I love hearing from you and be sure and drop me a line if there are recipes you would like to see made in the air fryer!
- 8 loin lamb chops 1 1/4" wide
- 2 Tablespoons mustard, dijon or whole grain
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, (any dried herb of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Turn on air fryer to 390° to preheat.
- Into a small bowl place mustard, olive oil, tarragon and lemon juice and mix well.
- Rinse and pat dry lamb chops with a paper towel.
- Brush mustard herb mixture over all sides of the lamb chops.
- Place lamb chops into basket with some room in between. You can do them in batches and keep on a plate covered with plastic wrap until all are finished. Alternatively you can place in a 225° oven to keep warm.
- Cook for 15 minutes for medium rare (turning at 8 minutes.) You don't have to turn them but I like the even color it gets by moving them around.
- You can use a thermometer to test for doneness. The width of the chop used can alter the cooking times. If you don't have a thermometer I use a knife to cut into one to test.
- Lamb Doneness temperatures:
- 125 Rare
- 145 Medium Rare
- 155 Medium
All nutritional information is based on the ingredients I purchased to make this recipe. The ingredients you use will effect the finished result. If you are following specific dietary guidelines please check the ingredients you use to calculate an exact number.
Serving Size:4 2 loin chops each
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 201mgProtein: 35g