Cherry Hand Pies are an easy healthy airfryer recipe you can make in 15 minutes. Storebought or homemade pie crusts give a flaky tender shell for a sweet and tart cherry filled center!
Todays recipe for Airfryer Cherry Pies are perfect for spring! Delicious sweet cherry filling in a flaky pie crust exterior. The best part…. you can make them in less than 20 minutes in the airfryer.
Today’s recipe is a part of the Freaky Friday blog hop that I do 4 times a year. What is a blog hop you ask? It’s an event that’s put on by Michaela at An Affair from the Heart where a group of food writers all swap names and share a recipe from someone else’s website.
The fun part is it’s a surprise and no-one knows who has who until the day of the event! It’s a win win for everyone. I get to make someone else’s recipe for a change and share with you another great website that you might not have known about!
For this round I have Lori and Heather from Who Needs A Cape? They’re two ladies who met when they first had kids and have become lifelong friends or as they refer to it as a sisterhood.
They share recipes that they make for their families while living a crazy busy life. (Can’t we all relate to that!) They have more than just recipes too… some DIY and how to projects and a few travel posts. All while keeping it real and not wearing a cape —-just doing it their way. How cool is that!
Lori has a daughter Madi who also has blogs who also participates in this blog hop. To top it all off they all share a third website (Snacks and Sips.) Talk about a sisterhood of entrepreneurs!
So many of their recipes and cocktails looked good — I had a hard time picking what to make. I love that their recipes aren’t super complicated. They’re things I usually have in my pantry and made with ingredients we’ve all heard of!
I made a taco spaghetti that was so good I’ll be serving it for Cinco de Mayo next week. It literally was on our table in 25 minutes. It’s super easy and was a great twist on regular spaghetti.(Can I just say salsa and spaghetti is a marriage made in heaven!!)
I also made their fuzzy navel no bake cheesecake that was fantastic! The creamy texture and refreshing flavor will be a popular addition to any summer BBQ!
I’m kind of obsessed with no bake desserts (warning…. the Margarita Pie recipe I shared earlier this week is the first of 10 no bake pies or frozen desserts I have coming up!)
In the end I knew that all of my airfryer recipes like the Air Fryer Pork Chops Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan, and of course another air fryer dessert the Air Fryer Donuts recipe are so popular with all of you that I had to make the air fried cherry pie recipe.
How to make Air Fryer Pies
- Store bought crust is perfect to use in an airfryer.
- Let the pie crust thaw according to the package instructions.
- Preheat the oven (ie airfryer) for 5 minutes.
- Roll it out flat once completely thawed.
- Use 4-6″ cookie cutters to cut out shapes. (Smaller ones work, but it takes a lot more time.)
- Spoon out 1/2 tablespoon of cherry pie filling in the center.
- Place one cutout without filling over the top.
- Seal using your fingers at the edges.
- Double seal by using the tines of a fork to avoid leakage and the pies popping open.
- You can spray with oil spray to help with browning, but it’s optional.
- Place them in the basket of the airfryer for 10 minutes at 350° for 10 minutes until crust is golden brown. (I know the air fryers go to 390 degrees, but resist the urge to cook them at that temperature. They brown too quickly and parts of the crust are raw. )
Questions about this Air Fryer Cherry Pie recipe:
I don’t have an airfryer can I still make these cherry pies? Yes. You can deep fry hand pies in hot oil for about 5 minutes per side until they are golden brown. Drain them on a paper towel and let them cool before drizzling them with the sugar glaze.
I don’t have an airfryer but I want them oil free so they are have the benefits of a healthy air fryer dessert what can I co? No problem, you can bake them in an oven at 400° for about 15-20 minutes. I would use a rack over a cookie sheet so the bottoms can get nice and flaky.
I don’t want to use any oil on my hand pies so they are a healthy dessert… is that ok? Yes, the cherry pies can be made totally oil free. They may take a little longer to brown so you may have to adjust the cook time a little.
What can I use besides cherry pie filling in my hand pie? Fill the hand pies with and fruit pie filling you like. Apples, blueberries, peaches or raspberries. They would even be great with pumpkin pie filling in the fall!
Can I make the hand pie filling homemade? You absolutely can make a filling from scratch. Cut and prep the fruit and add just a sprinkling of sugar to it then stir. Let it set for 15 minutes then follow the directions in the recipe card. (You can check out these blueberry thyme mini tartlets to see the exact process here!)
I’d love it if you enjoy this recipe if you’d comment and rate the recipe in the recipe card. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Hashtag any recipes you make from West Via Midwest #westviamidwestrecipes or tag me @michele_westviamidwest on Instagram to be featured on our stories!
Take a look at all of our Spring 2019 Freaky Friday Recipes:
- A Grande Life – Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
- An Affair from the Heart – Margarita Dip with Salted Pretzels
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – BLT Pasta Salad
- Bowl Me Over – Macaroni Pasta Salad
- Hostess at Heart – Blueberry Buckle Recipe – Incredibly Easy To Make
- House of Nash Eats – Asparagus Tart
- Kylee Cooks – No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos
- Life Currents – Blackened Shrimp Pasta
- Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish – Spicy Thai Basil Slaw
- Mildly Meandering – Mediterranean Scalloped Potatoes
- Seduction in the Kitchen – Grilled Peach Caprese Salad
- Take Two Tapas – Spicy Bacon Wrapped Air Fryer Shrimp
- The Foodie Affair – Coconut Pie with Creamy Custard Filling
- The Speckled Palate – Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- West Via Midwest – Air Fryer Cherry Pies
- Who Needs a Cape? – Slow Cooker Cheesy Taco Soup
Cherry Hand Pies are an easy healthy airfryer recipe you can make in 15 minutes. Storebought or homemade pie crust they can be made in less than 15 minutes!
- 14 oz package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1/2 cup cherry pie filling
- non-stick cooking spray
- 3 Tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon milk
- Unroll refrigerated pie crusts according to package directions.
Cut out 20 -24 pieces for the pies with cookie cutter.
Place 1.5 Tablespoons cherry pie filling near the center of half of the pies you cut.
Place the dough without cherry filling over the top and use your fingers to press the edges together. Then use a fork to make pretty edges and make sure the edges are sealed. (This helps avoid leakage.)
Use a fork or a knife to cut in air holes in the top of the hand pie.
- Place in basket of air fryer.
- Spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook in air fryer approximately 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Remove when golden browned. Allow to cool.
Mix glaze ingredients thoroughly to remove lumps. If you want a pink or red color add a little of the cherry pie filling (no cherry itself) into the glaze.
- Drizzle over top of cooled pies.
Cooking time may vary depending on air fryer. You may need to adjust amounts of confectioner's sugar and milk for glaze.