Million Calorie Bars! A one pan bar recipe with a savory graham cracker crust topped with chocolate, butterscotch, coconut and your favorite nuts. All bound with sweetened condensed milk to provide the perfect one bite bar!
It’s that time of year for gifts! I like to show some gratitude to the people around me who are supportive all year long. (my vet’s office who get us in ASAP, the lady who cuts my hair, the friend who always bails me out in a crunch.) I’d love to get them wonderful gifts, but that gets pricey. In the last few years, I’ve been making treats from scratch. It’s not only economical, but it’s personal and always much appreciated.
One of those treats are the “Million Calorie Bars.” This bar is crazy good. I included it in the first year’s gift basket, but went with something else the second year and I had them asking if I was still bringing it later. It’s that memorable. (for the record, I did go back and make it and take it over. I figure if it was that missed, who was I to be a scrooge!)
I have been making this since I was in the 8th grade. I have no idea where the recipe came from, but I know that the name was different. I made them for a teacher as a gift; after hearing what was in them stated they should be called “million calorie bars.” The name was appropriate, it stuck over the years.
There really is no right or wrong quantities when making this. I don’t like to have small bags of chips leftover so I usually use the whole package on them. I’ve substituted other flavored chips over the years, it never fails me. People LOVE them.
There is something about how it all melds together which makes it wonderful. It can feed a lot of people because it’s so rich, you want to eat a bigger piece, but a small bite will hit the spot!
Other sweet treats for a cookie exchange:
- Tropical Christmas Cookies
- Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies
- Mini Egg Nog Cakes
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Chewy Chocolate Cookies
STAY CONNECTED ON SOCIAL SO YOU DON’T MISS OUT ON THE LATEST RECIPES TO MAKE ENTERTAINING BOTH STRESS FREE AND DELICIOUS!
FREE TIPS FOR ENTERTAINING WITH EASE AND FUN DELICIOUS RECIPES WHEN YOU SIGN UP FOR THE MAILING LIST BELOW THE RECIPE !
- 1 regular bag of Chocolate Chips, I prefer dark chocolate, but pick your favorite!
- 1 regular bag of Butterscotch Chips
- 1 small bag of Shredded Coconut
- 1 small can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1.5 Cups nuts, I like walnuts or pecans
- 1 stick butter
- 1 package Graham Crackers
- Preheat oven to 275º
- In a ziplock bag roll graham crackers to fine crumb.
- Place graham crackers in a 9X13 baking dish.
- Melt 1 stick of butter.
- Pour Melted butter over top of graham cracker crumbs, wetting evenly. Then using a spatula spread evenly to edges of pan and press down firmly to form crust.
- Spread Chocolate Chips, Butterscotch Chips and nuts evenly over top of graham crackers.
- Then spread coconut evenly over the top of that.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk slowly and evenly distributed over the entire baking dish.
- Bake at 275º for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes.
- Place in Refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight to set.
- After set, remove from fridge, let sit out for 30 minutes then cut into bite size squares. (You can cut them right away but letting them warm a little bit makes them easier to cut.
- I wrap them individually in wax paper for a nice presentation and to maintain freshness. Alternatively you can put them on a plate and wrap plate with plastic wrap.
Serving Size:12 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 725Saturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 484mgCarbohydrates: 98gFiber: 3gSugar: 70gProtein: 9g
This site uses affiliate links, such as Amazon which pays this site a small commission if you purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read full info here.