Blueberry Thyme Mini Tartlets are the perfect use of fresh blueberries. Just a few simple ingredients but when mixed together it’s bursting with juicy sweet blueberries with hints of citrus and thyme all wrapped in a flaky buttery crust!
When Blueberries are in season they are amazing. Tart, tangy, sweet and full of fresh juices. I could eat them all day long. I love to take advantage of fruits of the season and bake them into small desert servings. Alas, this recipe for Blueberry Thyme Mini Tartlets!!
There is something adorable about having little individual servings of deserts on plates to present. I mean really…tarts, tarts everywhere! LOVE LOVE LOVE!
The fact that they are simple to make is an added bonus.
I use a sweet dough that my grandma made and a pretty standard method for the blueberries. Seriously, when I was looking up recipes for this, almost every recipe I found followed pretty much the same guidelines. I guess that goes to show you that you don’t mess with simple good ingredients when cooking.
Since the blueberries are in season, I did find that most recipes used way too much sugar so I cut way back on that in this recipe. For 2 1/2 cups of fruit, I used only ¼ cup of sugar. I added fresh thyme that brought just a little zing to the blueberries. Combined with the lemon juice it was a heavenly mixture.
When you are mixing this up, you might want to consider making a little extra fruit……it is hard to not keep taste testing it as you go along. It’s truly addicting! (Note to self: the sugar/lemon/blueberry mixture will also work beautifully on top of ice cream!!)
The sugar dough mixes up just like a pie crust, I just gently mixed it together and rolled it out. I had a bowl that was about 6” in diameter that I traced around to get the individual shapes. Then put a dollop of fruit in the center.
You can either form the crust around them, or you can do “fruit Pizza” like these two are. (Yes, even mistakes work out ….these for some reason when I did them didn’t stay all nice and tucked in. But they came out just as yummy as the ones that stayed together!!
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 12 ounces unsalted Butter but into small pieces
- 1/2 - 2/3 ice cold water
- Juice of a large lemon
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 5 cups fresh Blueberries rinsed and cleaned
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- egg wash mix entire egg, minus shell with a few droplets of water, blend well
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- In a large bowl sift together flour, cinnamon, sugar and salt,
- With your hands, mix butter into flour mixture until it is meally looking.
- Sprinkle iced water over the top of mixture slowly bringing dough together. Add the water a little bit at a time.
- DO NOT Over mix, you want the dough to just barely bind together.
- Separate into 3-4 discs and wrap each one individually with plastic wrap.
- (You wrap them in smaller disks so that you can keep the others cold while rolling out just one!)
- Place in Fridge and chill for at least an hour. (Make blueberry filling while it chills)
- Roll out one disk at a time to 1/8" thickness,cutting them into 5-6 inch rounds(use a bowl to trace around).
- Place a large spoonful of blueberry filling in the center. (recipe below)
- Either leave dough flat (for pizza looking finish) or fold over edges like a tartlet.
- Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet with 2 inches between tarts.
- Brush tarts with egg wash and sprinkle generously with sugar.
- Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes until crust is golden and blueberries are bubbly. Turn tarts at 7 minutes to allow for even browning.
- Allow 15 minutes to cool before removing from the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl squeeze lemon juice and add cornstarch and thyme to it. Mix well.
- In a larger bowl add blueberries and sugar and mix.
- Pour lemon juice mixture over the top and blend well.
- Let blueberries sit for at least 15 minutes before spooning onto tart dough.
This site uses affiliate links, such as Amazon which pays this site a small commission if you purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read full info here.