Refreshing Watermelon Salad, the perfect BBQ side dish. Ready in 15 minutes with bursts of citrus, tart feta cheese then drizzled with a sticky honey balsamic glaze.
With all of the summer grilling coming up this recipe for Refreshing Watermelon Salad is perfect for any get together. When it’s hot and you’re entertaining, this salad is an easy way serve something healthy, not spend hours in the kitchen and still have a great tasting option.
Watermelon is always my favorite fruit in the summer. As a kid, I loved having slices of it at the pool. As a grown up I love eating it too and this recipe is a more grown up way to serve it. The tangy feta cheese bits go well with the juicy fresh sweet watermelon. By adding in some blueberries it adds a slightly different texture and another level of flavor.
All of these fresh ingredients are mixed together and then topped with a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar and honey.
Points of Interest in the recipe for Refreshing Watermelon Salad:
- Pick a good watermelon. Ive seen many recommendations for selecting a perfect watermelon and the method I find the best is this: Pick up the watermelon and touch the area where the melon was attached to the stem. It should be firm to the touch and not mushy feeling. Inspect the entire watermelon to make sure there aren’t any soft spots. I also smell the melon to make sure it is fresh smelling. I know it sounds crazy, but if there is no strong scent I put it down. I find if there is no scent, the melon was picked to early.
- Don’t like feta? Any creamy crumbly cheese will work. Ive even used a blue cheese when that’s all I had in the kitchen.
- I’d like to say you could make this the night before to take some of the pressure off when you are entertaining, but honestly this salad is better if made on the same day. You can make it in the morning you will serve it though.
- The fact that this Refreshing watermelon salad is made with blueberries makes it a great Patriotic Offering for Memorial Day or 4th of July BBQ’s.
- You can serve this as a side dish or as an appetizer as I have it pictured in the first shot in this post!
- 1 whole watermelon
- 1 clamshell blueberries, rinsed well
- 3 ounces crumbled feta
- 6 leaves basil, minced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Cut Watermelon into bite sized pieces. Stir blueberries and watermelon together in a bowl.
- In a small sauce pan mix balsamic vinegar and honey and heat to bubbling( about 2 minutes). Do not step away. Watch it until reduces by 1/2. Set aside to cool.
- When ready to serve add cheese and basil to watermelon and berries and mix well. Serve the balsamic glaze on the side for your guests to spoon over the top.
All recipe calorie information was calculated on what I purchased to make this recipe in My Fitness Pal. When you make the recipe, the calorie content could vary depending on what specific ingredients/brands you actually use. Please take that into consideration if you are following a strict diet.
Serving Size:12 as a side dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 79Carbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g
This site uses affiliate links, such as Amazon which pays this site a small commission if you purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read full info here.