Grilled low and slow yields Fall off the Bone BBQ Ribs, brush with a tangy bbq sauce for lip smacking deliciousness. Perfect for summertime entertaining! (oven option too)
This Fall off the Bone BBQ Ribs Recipe will amaze you at how simple and how little time it will actually take you to make them. Seasoned with just a few ingredients (a dry rib rub below or try this homemade Cajun Seasoning Recipe for a little kick.) These grilled baby back pork ribs work with or without sauce!
This easy BBQ ribs recipe is ideal for entertaining– you can spend about 15 minutes prepping the ribs, then put them on the grill to cook. More time with your company and very little clean-up. Sounds like a win/win in my book.
How to cook ribs on the grill?
- The first tip when cooking ribs is to always remove the silver skin membrane. Take a knife and lift up the membrane at one end on the bone side of the ribs. If you use a paper towel once you start to pull it up it will come up super easily. You can check out this video from Barbecue Tricks to see the exact way to do it.
- By removing that silver skin membrane the rub will penetrate both sides of the meat; it also removes that tough to chew piece from the tender meat so it allows for the ribs to come to the full tenderness they should be.
- Rub the dry rub onto both sides of the ribs to add flavor to every bite.
- Grilling on indirect heat at a low temp for a longer time also adds to the tenderness; the ribs breakdown, but don’t dry out and get burned by being on high heat.
- Grill the pork ribs on indirect heat. Turn on the burners to low heat. If you have a large grill, turn on the two outer burners and then set the ribs on the section where there are no flames. If you have a smaller grill, heat one side and leave the other half off. You may need to move the ribs if it’s a smaller grill more often to avoid having the ribs be over the flame.
How long does it take for ribs to cook on the grill? Baby back ribs on low heat (grill temperature 275°) take about 3 to 3 1/2 hours to cook. Ribs are cooked at 145° but they start to fall off the bone around 200°
RIBS WILL FALL OFF THE BONE WHEN THEY ARE COOKED TO ABOUT 200°
PRO TIP: If you don’t have a thermometer to know when the ribs are done you can use tongs to lift the ribs. If when you lift them, the bones pull away from the meat you know they are done. (Use a wide spatula type tool to lift them off the grill so they don’t fall lifting them off the heat)
How to grill ribs on a charcoal grill?
You’ll set your charcoal only on one side and let them get super hot, then allow them to get to medium/ low heat before placing the ribs on the non-heated side. Because it takes 2-3 hours to grill the ribs, you may need to add some coals to the bbq. You’ll need to pay special attention that the grill does not get too hot.
Let’s Be Friends! Follow me to get ideas to have for making easy delicious meals & appetizers for stress-free entertaining!
Variations for the best Fall off the Bone BBQ Ribs Recipe:
- Serve these with or without sauce. The sauce goes on at the very last minute, if you put the sauce on too early, the sugar will cause over browning/burning.
- I’ve included a recipe for a tangy BBQ sauce that you can make while the ribs are cooking, but if you don’t want to go to the effort, buy your favorite store-bought one and brush them on in the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- This recipe uses baby back ribs, but it will work with any kind of ribs although you will have to adjust the cooking times. (beef ribs, spare ribs)
- Alternative to grilling them ribs can be made in the oven. Bake at 275°-300° for 3- 3 1/2 hours. Lemon Blossoms also has an excellent recipe for BBQ Ribs in the Oven with Bourbon Peach BBQ Sauce
- Want a variation for the dry rub? Here is a simple dry rub recipe in this recipe for Beef Ribs Recipe here!
Looking for other BBQ side dishes to go with your ribs? Check out these other recipes:
More Ribs Recipes you might enjoy:
Craving more recipes for BBQ’ing or entertaining? — sign up for my mailing list here at the bottom of the page. or PIN THIS TO YOUR Grilling Board or Party Food Board for when you are looking for ideas to serve to entertain!
- 2 racks Baby Back ribs
Dry Rib Rub
- 1 Tbsp Lawry's seasoned salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayanne pepper, optional
Tangy BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Turn on grill to medium-low , about 275°.
- Rinse ribs and pat dry with a paper towel. Remove membrane on back of each rack of ribs. Slide a knife in at top under membrane and use your fingers to pull away. Then use a dry paper towel to hold membrane and pull it all of the way back and remove completely.
- In a small bowl mix seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne and mix well. Then sprinkle generously over both sides of ribs. Using your fingers rub the spice rub into ribs to coat well.
- Using the off-heat method cook ribs. If your grill has five burners, turn on the outer 2 burners, and leave off the three middle ones. If you only have 4 burners, then turn on two on one side, and leave the other two off.
- You will place the ribs bone side down onto the non flame area of the grill. (No need to flip them during grilling.
- Place ribs meaty side up on the grates over the burners that are OFF.
- Close the lid, and check the ribs periodically to make sure they aren't burning at the point where the tips may be over a burner with a flame. As the ribs are cooking they will start to shrink a little, so if they are slightly over the flames, as they cook, move them away from the flame.
- Cook the ribs for 3--3 1/2 hours until the meat is browned and tender. You can either brush the bbq sauce on in the last 15 minutes or let your guests decide if they want BBQ sauce and have them apply it themselves. (these ribs are very good with just the rub!). **See instructions in post for cooking the ribs in the oven***
- While the ribs are grilling, place all ingredients for the tangy BBQ sauce in a small sauce pan and stir to mix completely. Once mixed together, turn on heat to high to bring to a boil. Once the sauce is at a boil reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 30 minutes until slightly thickened. Serve brushed on the ribs or as a side to be applied as needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- Set of 5 Metal Spatula Stainless Steel with Plastic Handle – Multipurpose BBQ Spatula Set For BBQ Grill Griddle – Pancake Flipper, Griddle Scraper, Dough Scraper, Griddle Spatula, Perforated
- Alpha Grillers Grill Brush Bristle Free. Best Safe BBQ Cleaner with Extra Wide Scraper. Perfect 18 Inch Stainless Steel Tools for All Grill Types, Including Weber. Ideal Barbecue Accessories
Serving Size:6 servings (ribs only)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 546 Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 167mg Sodium: 1893mg Carbohydrates: 28g Sugar: 24g Protein: 44g