Honey butter skillet corn is a delicious, kid-friendly way to serve an irresistible summer side dish! Sweet, creamy, and cheesy, this simple 15-minute recipe will become your new favorite way to enjoy corn!
I love when something ordinary like a side of corn becomes something extraordinary just by getting a little creative and adding a few extra ingredients. This honey butter skillet corn is slightly sweetened with melted butter and honey but nice and creamy thanks to the added cream cheese.
The buttery sweet creamy texture very much complements the sweet corn kernels that pop with every bite. Adding a heaping scoop of parmesan cheese right before serving is just icing on the
Being from Nebraska (aka the Cornhuskers State) I love corn. Like really love corn. Corn on the cob, creamed corn, cornbread, Corn pudding, Mexican street corn, corn salsa, or just simple corn with butter. When I saw this cast iron skillet corn recipe I’d never heard of, I knew I had to give it a try!
Sweet corn is a staple in most families and this elevated skillet corn version will definitely join the ranks. It’s a great side dish for summer BBQs or weeknight dinners. It’s a twist on a homestyle classic and bonus points that it comes together so quickly and easily in about 15 minutes with your everyday pantry staples. Serve it on the side of pretty much any main dish and you can bet it’ll be the first thing to disappear off of everyone’s plates, especially the kids!
Ingredients for skillet-fried corn
- Frozen corn – Bi-color corn looks great, but all yellow or all white works too.
- Butter – To be used to cook the onions which we all know is the best smell in the world. It is the base to which all other ingredients get added to.
- Cream cheese – Don’t use low-fat cream cheese, it doesn’t melt right.
- Honey – Added with the cream cheese to create a sweetness to the creamy mixture.
- Onion – I used a sweet onion- but shallots would be a good substitute
- Parmesan cheese – For the topping to add extra flavor. Freshly grated is great and has a better quality of taste if you can get your hands on it.
How to Make It
- To a skillet, add butter to melt over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the corn and cook until warmed through before adding the cream cheese and honey. Stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and top with parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately as a side or a yummy bowl all on its own.
Tips for Making Honey Butter Corn
- This is an easy recipe to either make on the stovetop or if using a cast-iron skillet you could do it directly on the grill while your meat is cooking on the BBQ.
- If you like a little heat you can chop up a small jalapeno pepper and add it when you are sauteing the onion. You want to soften the pepper a little so it’s not crunchy when you bite it.
- Need more variation? Add a little fresh parmesan cheese at the last minute before serving. Don’t stir it, leave it on top!
You can absolutely use the corn you cut off of the cob for this recipe. You’ll need about 8 large ears of corn for this recipe.
If you like canned corn you can easily use that for the recipe. Drain away any liquid before placing the corn into the skillet and follow the recipe as given. You might want to reduce the honey in half if you use canned corn as it tends to be sweeter.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes:
- Garlic Sugar Snap Peas
- Honey Butter Peas ~ For when you need a quick side dish using frozen peas!
- Easy Baked Potatoes
- Baked Beans (easy cheat to use canned baked beans even better)
- Creamy Dill Cucumbers
- Zucchini Fries ~ an easy healthy side dish made in the air fryer!
What to serve this Corn Recipe With:
- Air Fryer Ribs
- Fall off the bone tender BBQ Ribs
- Grilled Steak with Bourbon Butter
- 4 Ingredient Prime Rib
- Kraut Stuffed Brats
FREE TIPS FOR ENTERTAINING WITH EASE AND FUN DELICIOUS RECIPES WHEN YOU SIGN UP FOR THE MAILING LIST BELOW THE RECIPE!
Hashtag any recipes you make from West Via Midwest #westviamidwestrecipes or tag me @michele_westviamidwest on Instagram to be featured on our stories!
- 1 pound frozen corn (1 bag)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Melt the butter in a skillet on medium. Once melted add the onion and cook until the onion is translucent. About 3 minutes.
- Add frozen corn and cook until warmed for about 10 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and honey and stir until combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with parmesan cheese for a simple depth of flavor.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is adapted from Together As A family's recipe---
I use either fresh cut off corn from the cob (about 8 ears) or the frozen corn in a bag. Canned corn will work too, but I suggest cutting the honey in half as canned corn tends to be so much sweeter. Drain the liquid from the canned corn if using canned.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g
This recipe was calculated using the exact brands and measurements I used to make this recipe. If you are following a strict diet please note changing anything will cause the nutritional info to change. Please calculate your own nutritional information if you want it exact to what you make and use my calculations as a guide only.