Stop right there! Once you make your baked potato in an air fryer you’ll never go back to making them in the oven again. Super crispy-skinned edges, with light fluffy potato filling inside every single time—- and no need heating up the house with the oven either! Win-Win!
Baked Potatoes in an Air Fryer as simple as 1-2-3. They are cooked perfectly everytime when following this method. Just 3 ingredients- oil, salt and a potato.
I hear you, air fryer food? For real? Yes that was me but now Im hooked. It’s easy, and the clean-up is always a breeze. And everything tastes good— like really good.
What makes the perfect baked potato?
Crispy skins on the outside, toasted to a perfect golden brown with a fluffy light potato on the inside.
Usually you need to put the potatoes in the oven to get them but an air fryer is faster and honestly, I think its actually better than an oven.
Why? It’s the crispy skin shell of the potato when you make it in the air fryer.
When paired in a bite with the fluffy potato inside you’ll want to eat baked potatoes with every meal!
Tips for making a perfectly cooked baked potato.
Use the right potato.
What potato is best for a baked potato?
Russet or Idaho potatoes work best for baked potatoes. The starch content will yield a light and fluffy center.
Coat the skin with oil before placing it in the air fryer.
Use the right oil to get crispy skin.
I used olive oil, but any oil that has a high smoking point works. I’ve used vegetable oil and canola oil.
Although peanut oil has a high smoking point, it also gives off a peanut odor so avoid that one.
How long to air fry baked potatoes?
Cook them until a thermometer reads 210°. They will be a perfect fluffy inside!
Don’t have a thermometer?
4 medium potatoes take about 40 minutes. (about 8 ounces each)
Use your fingers to press gently on the outside of the potato. If it gives, then take a toothpick or a skewer and push it through the center. If it goes in smoothly with no resistance it is done!
Other common questions people have asked about air frying baked potatoes?
- Do I need to wrap the potatoes in foil? Please don’t wrap the potatoes in foil- the skin will not get the nice crispy texture.
- Can I make these ahead of time? You can– but you will need to reheat them for 5 minutes at 400°– but they are much better if you make them and eat them right away!
- Are you sure they are better than the microwave? If you like a nice crunchy skin on your baked potatoes then yes! Microwaves can certainly cook a baked potato fast, but the skin is limp and soggy—
- Do I need to prick the potatoes before baking them? I have made these over a dozen times. ONE time, they exploded. So I do suggest you prick them just a couple of times. Better to err on the side of caution!
Meals to Pair Air Fryer Baked Potatoes with:
Want the potato to be THE main course? Top them with these fun potato toppings!
- Ground Turkey Chili
- Thai Basil Shrimp Potatoes
- Taco Loaded Baked Potato
- Reuben Loaded Baked Potato
- Steam some Broccoli and then top with Beer Cheese Dip
- Top with Chili con Carne and Veggies
STAY CONNECTED ON SOCIAL SO YOU DON’T MISS OUT ON THE LATEST RECIPES TO MAKE ENTERTAINING BOTH STRESS FREE AND DELICIOUS!
I’d love it if you enjoy this recipe if you’d comment and rate the recipe 5 stars in the recipe card. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 4 8 ounce Russet Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Rinse and scrub the russet potatoes with water, then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Using your hands rub the olive oil on all sides of the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in the basket of the air fryer. If you have a rack, place them on the rack---
- Sprinkle all sides of the potatoes generously with salt. ( see note)
- Prick a couple of holes in the potato with a toothpick.
- Cook at 390° for 30-40 minutes.
- Check the potatoes at 30 minutes- using a thermometer cook the potatoes to 210°-- If you don't have a thermometer, press the sides of the potato and if they give just a little, take a toothpick and push it into the center of the potato and make sure it goes in evenly- if it is hard at all the potato needs to go longer.
- Remove when done, slice open and serve with your favorite topping.
- I have made these potatoes in the air fryer a dozen times-- 11/12 times they did not "pop" but for the one time that they did I now always prick the skins before air frying.
- If you have larger or smaller potatoes the times will vary- use the thermometer to test occasionally.
- Russet potato or Idaho potatoes work best for baked potatoes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 177mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
This recipe was calculated using the exact brands and measurements I used to make this recipe. If you are following a strict diet please note changing anything will cause the nutritional info to change. Please calculate your own nutritional information if you want it exact to what you make and use my calculations as a guide only.