Beer Cheese dip is great for pretzels, dipping bread into or slathered over a hot sandwich. Easy to make fast with pantry ingredients that is perfect for parties for a crowd or an easy cocktail appetizer!
Pretzel cheese dip or in this case Beer Cheese sauce is velvety, rich with hints of spices in each bite. With football season just around the corner this dip will be perfect for game day snacking!
Sometimes you need a cheesy dip not made with the tried and true cream cheese. This beer cheese dip is my go to for a rich velvety cheese dip that you can make in about 15 minutes.
Beer cheese is something I had when we were in Germany. It was often served at the local pubs along side German Pretzels.
When I made the super fast version of soft pretzels bites this pretzel dipping sauce is what I made with them! Both done in less than 30 minutes!
My favorite part about this beer cheese dip is that it doesn’t have to be warm to be one of those dips that you can’t get enough of! While the texture changes a little bit, it works just as well served cold out of the fridge if you want to make it ahead and serve it with vegetables!
Not only does this soft pretzel dip work for pretzels, but it is amazing over hot sandwiches (try it on pulled pork sliders) but it also works for dipping bread into on cold winter nights.
Grocery List for Beer Cheese Dip
- Cheddar Cheese (I mix both yellow and white)
- Cayenne Pepper
- Worcestershire Sauce
How to make Pretzel Dipping Sauce
- Start by making a roux, a butter mixed with flour.
- Let the flour mix cook for at least a minute to release the nutty flavor and let the flour really mix in.
- I like a lager but any beer will work. The beer adds a depth and tanginess to the cheese dip.
- Feel free to use 2% or whole milk either works fine. Skim milk doesn’t thicken as well so I try to avoid it.
- Let the flour, milk and beer get a thickness you like before adding all of the flavorings.
More Dips for Parties
- 5 minute Crack Dip
- Shrimp Dip with Cream Cheese
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip for Crackers
- Pub Style Cheese Dip
- Pico De Gallo
STAY CONNECTED ON SOCIAL SO YOU DON’T MISS OUT ON THE LATEST RECIPES TO MAKE ENTERTAINING BOTH STRESS FREE AND DELICIOUS!
FREE TIPS FOR ENTERTAINING WITH EASE AND FUN DELICIOUS RECIPES WHEN YOU SIGN UP FOR THE MAILING LIST BELOW THE RECIPE !
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Beer (lager)
- 1 Cup Yellow Cheddar Cheese (packed tightly)
- 1 Cup White Cheddar Cheese (packed tightly)
- 1 Teaspoon Grainy Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Grate cheese, and measure out all other ingredients and have them ready to go.
- Melt butter in a heavy bottom sauce pan on medium high.
- Sprinkle flour over the top, using a whisk continuously stir and cook for 2 minutes to get rid of flour texture.
- Add mustard and slowly pour in milk whisking constantly until all lumps are gone.
- Add beer and stir.
- Bring to a boil and cook until it thickens (about 5-7 minutes.)
- Once thickened add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano and cayenne pepper.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper to your own taste.
- Serve immediately.
- If you make this ahead you can warm it on low/ low medium heat until a nice even consistancy. If it gets too thick, you can thin with a tablespoon of milk. Be careful adding too much milk, it will get too thin quickly.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 236 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 49mg Sodium: 274mg Carbohydrates: 10g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g