It’s another day of #halloweentreatsweek and I have another easy and festive Halloween Food Idea for you with an easy update to your classic chex mix! Halloween Chex mix has added sweet treats with a simple Oreo cookie eyeball you can make in no time at all!
I love making festive halloween party food~ even if it’s a smaller party this year!
This Halloween snack mix is homemade, and has all the savory, salty ingredients you love with Chex cereal, Cheerios, peanuts and pretzels but its made super holiday-centric by adding candy corn, Oreo cookies that look like eyeballs, pumpkins and m & m’s!
I’m super excited to be a part of #HalloweenTreatsWeek again this year! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.”
The best part of #halloweentreatsweek? You get all the treats! Be sure and scroll down to see the big giveaway that we are having! So many fun prizes!
What’s in Chex Mix?
- Rich Chex
- Corn Chex
- Vegetable Oil
- Worchestershire sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Celery Salt
- Onion Powder
The basics of chex mix as you already love it! The best part of this recipe is that you can totally customize it! Do you like bagel chips, or goldfish, or rye crackers? Thats fine! Add them in.
Normally we add wheat Chex into the mix but the market was out of them. So by all means add them if you find them. This classic Chex mix will be your family favorite soon!
Making Chex Mix Halloween Style!
- Take mini Oreos- I used both white chocolate covered and regular ones and pipe 3 squiggly lines with cookie icing using a small tip which will look like bloodshot eyes. I used purple, but you can use any bright color— red or green look great!
- Then put a big dollop in the center of cookie icing.
- Lastly, you’ll take a mini eye candy and press it into the center of the dollop.
- Let them dry before tossing them in the Chex mix. I made mine the night before and placed them in a sealed container to dry.
Other items to add to your Spooky Halloween Food
- Candy corn- there is also a fall colored one that looks great!
- M&M’s– look for the halloween green and purple ones!
- Candy Pumpkins
- Reeces Pieces Halloween Mix
The beauty of this festive snack, is that it’s totally customizable to what you and your family and friends like!
Need More Ideas for Halloween Food Ideas? We have lots of fun ideas! Check them all out here!
More Halloween Party Food you might enjoy!
- Spooky 7 Layer Dip (8 different Halloween themed ideas to try!)
- Creepy Eye Popcorn Balls
- Ghouls Blood Cocktail (I mean, look at this screaming bright blue color!!)
- Festive Jackolantern Cheese Ball (make a party tray! )
- Scary Eyeball Meatballs
- Mummy Cheese Bread ~ make several trays so they are ready to pop into the oven!
- Chocolate Halloween Dipped cones with Homemade Pumpkin Ice Cream (no ice cream maker needed!)
- The Scream Brownies
- Chocolate Bark Halloween Style (coming Wednesday)
Happy Halloween! Spooky Season is here and it is time for 2020’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
Scroll down below the recipe for the full description of the prizes and to enter the giveaway!
Take a look more spooky Halloween recipes from our #HalloweenTreatsWeek Bloggers today:
Halloween Cookies & Bars:
Halloween Cakes & Cupcakes:
- Blood Splatter Cupcakes from Big Bear’s Wife
- Jack-o-lantern Cake Pops from Tastes of Homemade
- Graveyard Dirt Cake from House of Nash Eats
- Halloween Mummy Cake Pops from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Halloween Pies & Tarts:
- Air Fryer Mummy Apple Mini Tarts from Fresh Coast Eats
- Cinnamon Roll Intestines from Devour Dinner
Chilled Halloween Treats:
- Frankenberry Jell-O Shots from Sweet ReciPEAS
Halloween Snack Mix and Candy:
- Halloween Chex Mix from West Via Midwest
Spooky Oreo Eyeballs
- 6.4 ounce package of mini Oreo cookies
- Purple Cookie Icing
- Mine Candy Eyes
Classic Chex Mix
- 4 cups Corn Chex
- 4 cups Rice Chex
- 4 Cups Cheerios
- 1 Cup Pretzel Sticks, broken
- 1 cup Spanish Peanuts
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Celery Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Worchestershire Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
Halloween Chex Mix Add ins-
- 1 cup m & M's
- 1 cup Candy Corn
- 1 cup Candy Pumpkins
Take the purple cookie icing and squiggle 3 lines eminating from the center on the oreo mini cookie.
Place a dollop of purple icing on the direct center.
Gently press a mini eyeball in the center.
Let the eyeballs dry to set.
Original Classic Chex Mix
- Preheat oven to 275°
- Into a large roasting pan, or large metal bowl that will fit into your oven add the Chex mixes, cheerios, pretzels and nuts and mix well.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and melt on high for one minute. Add oil, garlic powder, celery salt, onion salt and Worcestershire sauce and stir to mix completely. Put back into the microwve and heat on high, covered with a paper towel so it doesnt splash out.
- Remove from the microwave and stir well.
- Pour evenly over the chex mixture... stirring to coat all.
- Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes, opening to stir every 15 minutes. When you remove it the chex mix should have absorbed the butter/oil mixture and should be dry. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
Halloween Chex Mix
- Once the chex mix has cooled and the cookie icing is dry to the touch on the oreos, toss all add ins and the eyeball oreo cookies together.
- Store in an airtight container. This keeps for up to a week.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 351mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
This recipe was calculated using the exact brands and measurements I used to make this recipe. If you are following a strict diet please note changing anything will cause the nutritional info to change. Please calculate your own nutritional information if you want it exact to what you make and use my calculations as a guide only.
For the 3rd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsor and bloggers this year!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Prize #2 from Angie at BigBearsWife
Ninja OP301 Foodi 9-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer and More, with 6.5 Quart Capacity and 45 Recipe Book, and a High Gloss Finish
Prize #3 from Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar
Origami Owl Locket and Halloween Charms
Prize #4 from Kathy at Lemon Blossoms
6 Quart Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Prize #5 from Terri at Our Good Life
Young Living’s Thieves Mints ($50 Value)
Pop a Thieves Mint into your mouth for cinnamint-fresh breath after meals. Made with naturally derived ingredients and free of artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives, Thieves Mints are a choice you can feel good about. Created with Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend, these mints deliver minty coolness with a hint of warm, sugar-free sweetness. Thieves Mints come in a conveniently sized container that is great to take on the go!!
Prize #6 from Julie at Back To My Southern Roots
1 Copy of – The Peanuts Family Cookbook: Delicious Dishes for Kids to Make with Their Favorite Grown-Ups
Prize #7 from Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS
1 Copy of her new cookbook “Holy Sweet! 60 Indulgent Recipes for Bigger, Better Desserts”
Prize #8 from Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
1 Copy of her cookbook, “Incredible One-Pot Cooking: Easy, Delicious Recipes for Exciting Meals Without the Mess”
Prize #9 from Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog
1 Copy of “Friends: The Official Cookbook”
ONE (1) $75 Amazon gift card
Prize #11 from Shanaka from It’s Shanaka
ONE (1) $25 Amazon gift card
Prize #12 from Ashley from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Prize #13 from Amy from House of Nash Eats
ONE (1) $100 Amazon gift card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 5th – October 10th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 14 prizes and therefore we will have a total of 14 winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes. We would also love to give a huge thanks to our Halloween Treats Week bloggers because a lot of them also donated prizes for the giveaways, including: Angie of BigBearsWife , Nicole of Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar, Kathy of Lemon Blossoms, Terri of Our Good Life, Julie of Back To My Southern Roots, Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS, Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen, Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog, Michaela of An Affair from the Heart, Jennifer of Take Two Tapas , Michele of West Via Midwest, Shanaka of It’s Shanaka, Ashley of Cheese Curd In Paradise, and Amy from House of Nash Eats!