It’s another day of #halloweentreatsweek and I have another easy and festive Halloween Food Idea for you with an easy update to your classic chex mix! Halloween Chex mix has added sweet treats with a simple Oreo cookie eyeball you can make in no time at all!
I love making festive halloween party food~ even if it’s a smaller party this year!
This Halloween snack mix is homemade, and has all the savory, salty ingredients you love with Chex cereal, Cheerios, peanuts and pretzels but its made super holiday-centric by adding candy corn, Oreo cookies that look like eyeballs, pumpkins and m & m’s!
This post was originally a part of #HalloweenTreatsWeek, I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.”
What’s in Chex Mix?
- Rich Chex
- Corn Chex
- Vegetable Oil
- Worchestershire sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Celery Salt
- Onion Powder
The basics of chex mix as you already love it! The best part of this recipe is that you can totally customize it! Do you like bagel chips, or goldfish, or rye crackers? Thats fine! Add them in.
Normally we add wheat Chex into the mix but the market was out of them. So by all means add them if you find them. This classic Chex mix will be your family favorite soon!
Making Chex Mix Halloween Style!
- Take mini Oreos- I used both white chocolate covered and regular ones and pipe 3 squiggly lines with cookie icing using a small tip which will look like bloodshot eyes. I used purple, but you can use any bright color— red or green look great!
- Then put a big dollop in the center of cookie icing.
- Lastly, you’ll take a mini eye candy and press it into the center of the dollop.
- Let them dry before tossing them in the Chex mix. I made mine the night before and placed them in a sealed container to dry.
Other items to add to your Spooky Halloween Food
- Candy corn- there is also a fall colored one that looks great!
- M&M’s– look for the halloween green and purple ones!
- Candy Pumpkins
- Reeces Pieces Halloween Mix
The beauty of this festive snack, is that it’s totally customizable to what you and your family and friends like!
Need More Ideas for Halloween Food Ideas? We have lots of fun ideas! Check them all out here!
More Halloween Party Food you might enjoy!
- Spooky 7 Layer Dip (8 different Halloween themed ideas to try!)
- Creepy Eye Popcorn Balls
- Ghouls Blood Cocktail (I mean, look at this screaming bright blue color!!)
- Festive Jackolantern Cheese Ball (make a party tray! )
- Scary Eyeball Meatballs
- Mummy Cheese Bread ~ make several trays so they are ready to pop into the oven!
- Chocolate Halloween Dipped cones with Homemade Pumpkin Ice Cream (no ice cream maker needed!)
- The Scream Brownies
- Chocolate Bark Halloween Style
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
Take a look more spooky Halloween recipes from our #HalloweenTreatsWeek Bloggers today:
Halloween Cookies & Bars:
- Slice & Bake Pumpkin Cookies from The Flour Handprint
- Halloween Lollipop Cookies from Lemon Blossoms
Halloween Cakes & Cupcakes:
- Blood Splatter Cupcakes from Big Bear’s Wife
- Jack-o-lantern Cake Pops from Tastes of Homemade
- Graveyard Dirt Cake from House of Nash Eats
- Halloween Mummy Cake Pops from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Halloween Pies & Tarts:
- Air Fryer Mummy Apple Mini Tarts from Fresh Coast Eats
- Cinnamon Roll Intestines from Devour Dinner
Chilled Halloween Treats:
- Frankenberry Jell-O Shots from Sweet ReciPEAS
Halloween Snack Mix and Candy:
- Halloween Chex Mix from West Via Midwest
Halloween Chex Mix with Oreo Eyeballs (recipe)
Making a classic Chex mix even better by adding Halloween treats to it! Oreo Cookie eyeballs give your classic snack mix a fun twist for Halloween Party Food!
Spooky Oreo Eyeballs
- 6.4 ounce package of mini Oreo cookies
- Purple Cookie Icing
- Mine Candy Eyes
Classic Chex Mix
- 4 cups Corn Chex
- 4 cups Rice Chex
- 4 Cups Cheerios
- 1 Cup Pretzel Sticks, broken
- 1 cup Spanish Peanuts
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Celery Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Worchestershire Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
Halloween Chex Mix Add ins-
- 1 cup m & M's
- 1 cup Candy Corn
- 1 cup Candy Pumpkins
Take the purple cookie icing and squiggle 3 lines eminating from the center on the oreo mini cookie.
Place a dollop of purple icing on the direct center.
Gently press a mini eyeball in the center.
Let the eyeballs dry to set.
Original Classic Chex Mix
- Preheat oven to 275°
- Into a large roasting pan, or large metal bowl that will fit into your oven add the Chex mixes, cheerios, pretzels and nuts and mix well.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and melt on high for one minute. Add oil, garlic powder, celery salt, onion salt and Worcestershire sauce and stir to mix completely. Put back into the microwve and heat on high, covered with a paper towel so it doesnt splash out.
- Remove from the microwave and stir well.
- Pour evenly over the chex mixture... stirring to coat all.
- Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes, opening to stir every 15 minutes. When you remove it the chex mix should have absorbed the butter/oil mixture and should be dry. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
Halloween Chex Mix
- Once the chex mix has cooled and the cookie icing is dry to the touch on the oreos, toss all add ins and the eyeball oreo cookies together.
- Store in an airtight container. This keeps for up to a week.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 351mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
This recipe was calculated using the exact brands and measurements I used to make this recipe. If you are following a strict diet please note changing anything will cause the nutritional info to change. Please calculate your own nutritional information if you want it exact to what you make and use my calculations as a guide only.
Slice & Bake Pumpkin Cookies - The Flour Handprint
Thursday 8th of December 2022
[…] Halloween Chex Mix from West Via Midwest […]