Crispy Air Fried Taquitos are a delicious treat for any game day celebration. Easy Barbacoa homemade taquitos can be made in the air fryer in no time. They come out crispy on the outside with a hot, succulent filling on the inside.
This Air Fryer recipe for barbacoa taquitos are so much better than the store-bought ones from the frozen section of the grocery store.
Light and crispy with super flavorful, succulent chipotle barbacoa beef and cheese inside you won’t believe how easy they are to make!
When I was making the Chipotle Barbacoa Beef in the pressure cooker last month I had a lot of different versions before I settled on the most flavorful one.
I made so many different things using all of the meat, but these quick and easy taquitos or rolled tacos we’re so good I’ve made them at least 5 times since.
I baked a version of them and also did a fried version so I could give you all of the cooking instructions for what ever way you wanted to cook them!
I love air frying the taquitos so I have a healthy appetizer option when we are watching football or have a party and need food for a crowd.
Often times when you make something healthy you sacrifice the flavor or the crunch but these taquitos were so good my husband said he liked them better than the deep fried version.
What is a Taquito?
Taquitos translate to little tacos. They are little corn tortillas filled with fillings that are rolled to little bites then cooked until crispy.
Taquito, pronounced tuh-Kee-towz can be filled with chicken, ground beef, veggies, pinto beans, pulled pork or in this case a shredded chipotle barbacoa beef. They may include cheese inside or they may not.
These are delicious on their own, but you can dip them in sour cream, an enchilada dipping sauce or sprinkle cheese and guacamole over the top of them.
What is the difference between a flauta and a taquito?
The only difference in a flauta and a taquito is the tortilla you use to make them. A flauta is made with flour tortillas and a taquito is made with corn tortillas.
Flour tortillas are a little easier to work with but we prefer the corn tortilla.
PRO TIP: Microwave the corn tortillas with a wet paper towel for about 45 seconds to make them easily rollable.
How to Make Taquitos
- Use about 1.5 ounces of meat for the filling. Laying it down to go from end to end so each bite has some.
- Sprinkle a little cheese over the top before rolling them.
- Once rolled you’ll want to secure them with a toothpick if you are making them in bulk.
- Spray the basket with oil spray before placing the taquitos on them to avoid having them stick to it after cooking.
- If you are making just a few of them you can set the seamed side down when you place them on the basket.
- Spray them with oil spray once in the basket to help get them extra crispy.
- Cook them in the air fryer for 5-6 minutes at 390°.
- Sometimes I will remove the toothpick at half way and flip them over.
Variations on taquitos recipes:
I used the barbacoa chipotle beef but any filling you have will work.
Use leftover rotisserie chicken. Use shredded chicken and add with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Add extra cheese.
Mix potatoes with cheese and add a little bit of your favorite salsa and spread it on for the filling. It’s my favorite mexican taquito at our local restaurant!
Ground Beef Taquitos
Use your favorite taco seasoning to make taco meat for the filling adding extra cheese too.
Cheesy Rolled Tacos
Mix 2 kinds of cheese of your liking. Cheddar and gruere. Mexican Cheese and Cheddar or Cream cheese and cheddar for the filling. You could also sprinkle a little tabasco sauce for a little extra zing.
Don’t have an air fryer? No problem. Follow the instructions as given except bake them at 400° for 10- 15 minutes on a silicone mat lined tray. I flip them at half way removing the toothpicks.
Deep Frying Taquitos
In a heavy bottom pan add about 1/2 inch vegetable oil. Heat to medium high. Add taquitos and cook until golden brown. About 4 minutes per side.
Mealthy Crisp Lid Cooking Instructions
I often use a CrispLid to make taquitos. I can convert my instant pot/pressure cooker into an air fryer so easily. To make the taquitos in the Crisplid you’ll place them in the basket, spray them with oil then cook them for 5-7 minutes at 400°
More Fillings that would be great in Taquitos:
What to serve with Taquitos
- Hatch Chili Salsa
- Salsa Verde– the best tomatillo salsa!!
- Pico De Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Extra Cheese
Korean Wings Crispy Wings Soft Pretzel Bites!
More Air Fryer Recipes you might enjoy
- 12 mini corn tortillas
- 16 ounces barbacoa beef
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Microwave the tortillas with a west paper towel for 45 seconds to make them easy to work with.
- Place 1.5 ounces of meat at the edge of tortilla from side to side, sprinkle with a. little cheese.
- Roll up the tortilla like a straw, using a toothpick to secure when rolled up.
- Finish all taquitos.
- Preheat air fryer to 390°
- Once hot, spray basket with an oil spray to prevent sticking.
- Place 4 taquitos in the air fryer, spray them with a mist of oil.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Repeat until all are finished cooking.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.
- Baked instructions in the post
- Deep frying instructions in the post
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 13g
This recipe was calculated using the exact brands and measurements I used to make this recipe. If you are following a strict diet please note changing anything will cause the nutritional info to change. Please calculate your own nutritional information if you want it exact to what you make and use my calculations as a guide only.