Bacon-Wrapped Blue Cheese meatballs have a slight heat to them but the creamy melted blue cheese in the middle cools the bite down! Perfect for any game day party!
The playoffs are here and I’ve teamed up again with my fellow football foodie bloggers to give you a whole bunch of ideas for your game-day foods! Since meatballs are always one of my most searched items I combined meatballs with bacon and blue cheese for Bacon Wrapped Blue Cheese Meatballs for a twist on a traditional meatball!
I find the most difficult part of making meatballs with bacon is getting the bacon crisp enough so you don’t have raw bacon on your beautifully cooked meatball. (Ekes, that is just not right!!). I tried several ways to cook the bacon a little before wrapping them around the meatball but in the end, the most efficient, and least messy way of making he bacon was to microwave the bacon for a few minutes before wrapping it around the meatballs.
I also suggest using the thick-cut bacon because it holds up better when baking around the meatballs. This Bacon wrapped meatball can be made ahead and then placed in the fridge until you are ready to bake them. I made these the night before and then popped them in the oven right as my guests were arriving so they could smell the deliciousness!
Looking for more fun Meatball ideas! We have so many for you to make right here!
- 2.0 lbs ground beef
- .5 lbs ground porks
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 16 oz blue cheese
- 24 pieces thick cut bacon
- 1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce
- In batches, place paper towels (2-3) on a plate, and line up 6 pcs of bacon across paper towels. Cover with one sheet of paper towels.
- Place in microwave and microwave for 4 minutes on high. Bacon will only be partially cooked. Finish all bacon. Cut each piece of bacon in half and set aside. (bacon stays same width, it just becomes a shorter length.)
- Using a wooden spoon or your hands, mix together well, beef, pork, heavy cream, egg, salt, cayenne pepper, and bread crumbs.
- Do not pack meat too tightly, as you want a lighter meatball versus heavy, hard final product.
- Divide blue cheese into 50 small cubes.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon meat mixture and flatten it in your hand. Place small cube of blue cheese in the middle and then make meatball to completely cover the cheese.
- Take 1 piece of bacon and wrap one piece of bacon around each meatball. Tucking the seams at the bottom. Place all meatballs covered in bacon on a plate to place in the fridge to set up. (Cover with plastic wrap if making the night before, meatballs must set up for at least one hour.)
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°
- Place meatballs on broiling pan at least 2" apart. Bake for 20 minutes rotating in the oven at 10 minutes for even cooking.
- Remove pan from oven and increase temp to broil. While oven is heating up, brush the meatballs with the bbq sauce. Place meatballs in oven, watching them very carefully so they do not burn.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until bacon is crisp, but not burned. The bbq sauce is optional, you will still broil them if you don't use the sauce.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Size:12 (4-5 meatballs)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 521Carbohydrates: 8gSugar: 4gProtein: 39g
Classic Potato Salad by Celebrating Family
Chili Cheese Burritos by Love Bakes Good Cakes
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders by Dash of Herbs
Mediterranean Seven Layer Dip by The Culinary Compass
Chicks in a Blanket with Apricot Sauce by Mom’s Messy Miracles
Jalapeno Pale Ale Chili by Beer Girl Cooks
Sausage Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Feast + West
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls by Family Food on the Table
Mini Bacon Ranch Cheese Balls by Honey & Birch
Cookie Dough Cheese Ball by Bread Booze Bacon
Hawaiian Pizza Jalapeno Poppers by Love & Flour
Wonton Taco Cups by A Mind Full Mom
Pancetta and Smoked Mozzarella Arancini by The Secret Ingredient Is
Bean and Cheese Taco Bites by The BakerMama
Chile Beer Sangria by Cake ‘n Knife
Low Carb Stuffed Crust Pizza by Sustaining the Powers
Puff Pastry Pizza Bites by The Mexitalian
No Churn Pistachio Baklava Ice Cream by Club Narwhal
Roasted Jalapeno Poppers by Off the Eaten Path
Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese by Hello Little Home
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Wings by Around My Family Table
Gluten Free Bread Sticks by What A Girl Eats
Buffalo Chicken Deviled Eggs by The Crumby Cupcake
Greek Meatballs by Two Places at Once
Baked Taco Empanadas by Simplify, Live, Love
Puff Pastry Bacon Pizza Twists by 2 Cookin Mamas
Skillet Chicken Queso Dip by foodbyjonister
Spicy Sausage Rolls by Peanut Blossom
Protein Dark Chocolate Truffles by The Creative Bite
Chickpea Pepper Cheese Poppers by Bucket List Tummy
Maple Cranberry Apple Sangria by Order in the Kitchen
Meyer Lemon Shandies by The Speckled Palate
Game Day Fried Deviled Eggs with Chow Chow Relish by For the Love of Food
Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls by Simple and Savory
Pastrami Nachos by A Little Gathering
Shrimp Ceviche Dip by Glisten and Grace
Football Bourbon Balls + Boozy Lemonade by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Apple Cider Mimosas With A Sparkly Sugar Rim by And She Cooks
Easy Pepperoni Rolls by Me and My Pink Mixer
Real Boneless Chicken Wings by Macheesmo
Califlower Tater Tots by Living Well Kitchen
Cheeseburger Naan Pizza by Shaws Simple Swaps
Crab Rangoon by Brunch-n-Bites
Sweet n’ Spicy BBQ Popcorn by Life’s Ambrosia
Buffalo Chicken Rolls by Loves Food, Loves to Eat
Simlple Meatball Sub Sliders by Loaves & Dishes
Maple-Mustard Bacon Chicken Bites by An Oregon Cottage
Soft Pretzels with Beer Cheese & Honey Mustard Dipping Sauces by A Simpler Grace
Ricotta Stuffed Sausage Meatballs by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
Note: This post is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by the National Football League (NFL) or any of its teams. All opinions and views expressed on our blogs are our own, not that of the NFL and/or any of its 32 teams. Any team names, logos or other symbols referenced are properties of their respective organizations. We are just big fans — and we want to share our love for our teams, the game and the food that brings us all together on game day.
This site uses affiliate links, such as Amazon which pays this site a small commission if you purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read full info here.