Topped with 3-pepper cheese and a slow heating, tangy chili aioli this Juicy Grilled Green Chili Aioli Cheeseburger something so easy for your next BBQ!
Nothing beats a great burger! Everyone has a favorite way to make them but today I’m sharing an amped-up, bursting with a little tangy heat version: The Juicy Grilled Green Chili Aioli Cheeseburger!
What is an Aioli? And how does it differ from Mayonnaise?
- Mayonnaise is an egg and oil emersion, you can add seasonings to it for flavoring. (Herbs, mustards etc)
- Aioli is an egg olive oil and garlic emersion. You can have other seasonings in Aioli, but in order for you to call it an Aioli, it MUST have garlic and oil in it.
Adding a super flavorful aioli to your burger not only adds more juicy goodness to your burger, but it can take an ordinary burger and make it sing! This aioli has a little heat too, so it pairs well if you use a 3 pepper cheese or any cheese that also has a little heat!
When making burgers there are three things that can make or break its success:
- Do not overwork the meat.
- Flip the burger only once.
- Do not press down on the burger meat with the cooking utensil.
To make this Grilled Green Chili Aioli Cheeseburger you will want to handle the meat as little as possible, by doing this you will get a much lighter bite. If you pack it too tightly, it will be hard as a rock, and who wants to eat that?
The same philosophy goes for when you are cooking it. Handle it as little as possible. By flipping it only once and NOT touching the utensil to the burger, you are allowing all of those wonderful juices to stay IN the burger versus pushing them out to the bottom of the grill.
Common Questions answered for making burgers!
Can I make the burgers ahead of time? You can make/form the burgers ahead and put them in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to make them. Just take them out of the fridge 30 minutes before grilling.
How do I get a nice shaped burger when grilling it? Nothing is worse than a hockey puck burger that is so hard. By placing an indentation in the center of the burger (very light touch) the burger will keep its flat shape and not turn into a ball when cooking.
What other toppings could I offer with the green chili aioli for a burger topping? Additional toppings for this burger would be a fried egg and bacon!
Can I use the Green Chili Aioli on anything else? Yes! The green chili sauce works on so many things! I’ us it in a corn salad recipe that works great for summer BBQ’s but it also works great as a dip for parties with veggies! You can also use it as a dip for baked chicken wings or to serve alongside fries or homemade onion rings.
More Grilling Recipes you might enjoy!
- Grilled Sauerkraut Stuffed Brats
- Fall of the Bone BBQ Ribs
- Grilled Cuban Mojo Pork Roast
- Greek Lamb Burgers
- Cajun Shrimp Foil Packet
- Grilled Jerk Chicken
STAY CONNECTED ON SOCIAL SO YOU DON’T MISS OUT ON THE LATEST RECIPES TO MAKE ENTERTAINING BOTH STRESS-FREE AND DELICIOUS!
I’d love it if you enjoy this recipe if you’d comment and rate the recipe in the recipe card. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Hashtag any recipes you make from West Via Midwest #westviamidwestrecipes or tag me @michele_westviamidwest on Instagram to be featured on our stories!
Green Chili Aioli
- 1 1/2 cup olive or avocado oil, extra virgin
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbsp mustard, (any)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced *(you can also use roasted garlic)
- 4 ounces fire roasted green chilis, with liquid
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon salt, (season to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Cheeseburgers w/ Chili Aioli
- Into the bowl of a food processor, add egg yolk, whole egg (minus shells) mustard and lime juice. Run the food processor for 1-2 minutes to really froth up the egg mixture. The volume will increase.
- Using the pour spout of your food processor very very slowly pour the olive oil. This should take over a minute to add the oil. This allows the egg mixture and the oil to blend and thicken. If you pour it too fast it will be a much runnier aioli.
- Once all oil is added, add green chilis, minced garlic, salt and cayenne pepper and blend for 30 seconds. Taste and adjust, salt, cayenne according to taste. Other flavor boosters can be added here too... (tobasco sauce, herbs)
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use. Can be made ahead of time, actually its better that way as the flavors intensify. Can be stored in fridge for up to a week.
Grilled Green Chili Aioli Cheeseburger
- Turn grill on to high, or get coals started and ready for meat. Once grill is hot you will need to adjust the burners/coals to have a high heat area and a lower temp area for cooking.
- Sprinkle meat with seasoned salt, cayenne pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Form patties into 8 ounce patties, try to pat them together as delicately as possible, if you pack them too tightly they will be too firm once cooked. Place a slight indentation with your thumb right in the center. (this will allow your burger to hold its shape and not turn into a big ball when grilling.
- Once grill is ready, place burgers on the high temperature area for 2 minutes for each side. When you flip the burger, add a slice of cheese to each burger. Be sure to Flip only once and pay attention to not press the meat down with the spatula. (This just presses out all of the juices out of your juicy burger!)
- After the 2 minutes per side, move to the low temperature side of the grill. Cook them on this side of the grill 2-3 minutes more for medium rare, 3-4 minutes for medium and 5-6 minutes for well done.
- Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes to allow juices to stay in burger. Optional: You can warm the bun wrapped in foil on the grill for 5 minutes while the meat is resting.
- Build burger with pretzel bun, lettuce, tomato and drizzle 2 tablespoons of Green Chili Aili over top of each burger.
Calorie information for burgers include 2 tablespoons of aioli per burger.
All recipe calorie information was calculated on what I purchased to make this recipe in My Fitness Pal. When you make the recipe, the calorie content could vary depending on what specific ingredients/brands you actually use. Please take that into consideration if you are following a strict diet.
Serving Size:4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 719Carbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 59g
This site uses affiliate links, such as Amazon which pays this site a small commission if you purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read full info here.